Thieves made off with four works by one of Italy's most important Renaissance painters over the weekend, and the city where he was born is still trying to process it.
The heist happened Saturday night at the Museo Regionale di Messina in Sicily, during the city's Assumption Day celebrations. While crowds were focused on the traditional procession, someone slipped into the museum and grabbed five panels from a famous altarpiece, plus a small double-sided painting. Two of those panels were later found abandoned outside the museum, leaving four artworks missing.
What Was Taken
The biggest loss is the Polittico di San Gregorio, an altarpiece that originally had six boards and measured 170 cm by 203 cm. It was built for a monastery that was destroyed in Messina's 1908 earthquake, and it had a special distinction: it was the only Antonello work that had never left his hometown.
The thieves took five of the six panels, then dumped two of them outside the museum. That leaves three panels from the altarpiece unaccounted for.
The fourth missing piece is a small double-sided painting. One side shows a mother and child with a Franciscan monk, and the other shows Jesus. This work had a more recent history. It was previously held in the Wilhelm Soldan collection, and in 2003 the Sicilian Region purchased it after it was recognized as an Antonello.
As these stolen paintings show how quickly value can disappear, the free Always Be Buying eBook helps you build wealth steadily.
Why This Painter Matters
Antonello was born around 1430 and is a big deal in art history. He trained in Naples, where he picked up Flemish painting techniques, then came back to Messina in 1457 and worked there until 1474. His style helped bring oil painting to prominence in Italy, which makes his works extremely valuable.
The museum also holds pieces by Caravaggio, so the theft is a serious blow to the region's cultural holdings. Mayor Federico Basile told Reuters the thieves entered the museum late. Local authorities are calling it a devastating hit. Enzo Caruso, the councilor for culture, said the city was "truly stunned" and that "at first, nobody could believe it."
He also had a theory about why this happened. "This was almost certainly a commissioned theft," he said. In other words, someone likely ordered these specific pieces ahead of time.
The Suspicious Timing
Here is the detail that has everyone's attention. In February, Italy's culture ministry spent $15 million to buy another double-sided Antonello piece, called Ecce Homo, just before it was set to go to auction. Caruso believes that high-profile purchase put Messina's museum on criminals' radar.
The timing is hard to ignore. The theft happened just months after that big government buy, and the stolen painting is also double-sided, just like the one Italy paid millions for. The connection is not hard to see.
This is also not an isolated event. Days before the Messina theft, police in Parma said they had recovered three works by Cezanne, Renoir and Matisse that were stolen in March from a Parma museum. Art theft is having a moment, and Italian museums are in the crosshairs.
The Bottom Line
The stolen Antonello pieces are not just paintings. They are irreplaceable pieces of Messina's identity, and the altarpiece had never left the city in its entire history. For collectors, the worry is that commissioned thefts like this often end with art disappearing into private hands, where the public may never see it again. For everyone else, it is a reminder that cultural treasures can vanish in the chaos of a holiday crowd, and that the art world's high-dollar deals can have unintended consequences far beyond the auction house.
Just as these masterpieces were taken in a flash, the free Always Be Buying eBook helps you build wealth consistently.
